Re: (ASCEND) MAX4000 Callback feature.. kinda...

Ricardo Kustner wrote:
>On 25-Oct-99 Stephen Mulrine wrote:
>> The other side has to use CLID authentication to reject the call and then
>> call you back.  In addition you might want to use Ascend-Expect-Callback=
>> Expect-Callback-Yes which causes the MAX to wait 90 seconds for the other
>> side to call back before trying to place another call to it.
>thanks for the info...
>but this would mean that if a customer (the other side) changes the
>setup of their router, they could cause the calls to be on our costs...
>i was hoping there was a way to tell the MAX not to really make a
>connection but just give a quick call to the other side... with ISDN
>it would be nice to only send a RING on the D-channel so the other
>side sees the CLID and initiates the call.. this way the costs would
>be reduced to a minimum.

I don't know of any way of doing this.  The other end could even attempt
to pick up on the first ring and then you might have to pay for the
connection (depending on exactly how ISDN billing works).  We told our
dial-back customers that any call costs incurred at our end would be
passed on to them, although this has never had to happen.

In the event that the user deliberately or accidentally kept the line up,
you could prevent them from having a viable connection, and most likely
limit the connection time as well, by deliberately specifying the wrong
Framed-Protocol for the outgoing call.  I've never tried this myself but
I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work.

Regards,
Stephen