RE: (ASCEND) SOFTWARE UPGRADE KILLS RADIUS AUTHENTICATION???

Framed-Route is a string value and should only be used when you are routing
a subnet to a user.  It should never be used in a DEFAULT profile.  Here's
an example of how I connect a customer's network using a Pipeline 50 and a
Max.

lanuser Auth-Type = System
        Framed-Routing=None ,
        Framed-Address=192.168.100.65 ,
        Framed-Netmask=255.255.255.255 ,
        Framed-Route="192.168.100.64/27 192.168.100.65 1" ,
        Ascend-Maximum-Channels=2

Framed-Routing is an integer value, and doesn't necessarily need to be set,
though I do use it in profiles that are routing subnets.

Here's a DEFAULT profile that should work for you under most any situation.
The syntax is specific to Cistron Radiusd, your radius server may differ
slightly.  Also, please note that the first line is broken up and the
newlines are escaped.

DEFAULT Auth-Type = System, Group = "dialup", \
Simultaneous-Use = 1, Framed-Protocol=PPP , \
Service-Type = Framed-User
        Ascend-Maximum-Channels=1 ,
        Ascend-Assign-IP-Pool=1

HTH,