(ASCEND) Re: using a pri controller for t1 lines

>From: "Nik Donovan" <nik@neumedia.net>
>
>This may or may not be the stupidest question to ever grace this list but I
>am somewhat new to the max product line.  Here goes I just got my first
>"real" ascend product in and ran into a slight (understatement) problem.
>The unit in question is a max tnt with 400 odd modems, 2 octal pri cards,
>100 base t etc.  Problem: it is needed to replace a cisco 5300 but the 5300
>is not only handling ras but also the routing for 2 t-1's, one to a customer
>location and another connecting the cisco to my main site.  The question is,
>can I use a couple of ports on the t-1/pri card for the T-1's or will this
>not work.  I read somewhere that it was supposed to but I had never seen it
>done in the real world and I have currently have no way of testing this,

The "PRI" card is actually a T1 card. It will do T1, Frame Relay,
PRI, and--I think--ATM. In any case, I've used it for years with the
first three and it works well.

You'll need to have your Cisco use PPP encapsulation; the TNT doesn't
do HDLC directly.

Peter Lalor           Infoasis
plalor@infoasis.com   http://www.infoasis.com/