Re: (ASCEND) Cisco ISDN into Max 4048

Here's a BRI config for a Cisco 2524 router dialing into
an Ascend MAX (either 40XX or 60XX).  Your ethernet interface
address needs to match the RADIUS profile for the IP address you're
assigning to your connection.  This profile works for a
static IP configuration -- not sure what changes are
necessary if you're using a negotiated IP address....

REPLACE:

YOUR.MAX.IP.ADDR with the IP address of the MAX you're dialing into (ie: remote
gateway)
DIAL.NUMBER with the phone number your BRI dials
USERNAME with your PAP username (ie: the username in your MAX's RADIUS profile)
PASSWORD with your PAP password

!
! configure the interface
!
interface BRI0
 ip unnumbered Ethernet0
 encapsulation ppp
 isdn spid1 50155512120101
 isdn spid2 50155512130101
 dialer idle-timeout 1800
 dialer map ip YOUR.MAX.IP.ADDR name max01-lr broadcast DIAL.NUMBER
 dialer hold-queue 5
 dialer load-threshold 1
 dialer-group 1
 no fair-queue
 ppp multilink
 ppp authentication pap callin
 ppp pap sent-username USERNAME password PASSWORD

!
! set up the dialer list (ie: what protocols necessary to initiate
! a connection
!
dialer-list 1 protocol ip list 100

!
! This access list used by the dialer-list above.  Basically any
! traffic will cause the BRI to dial
!
access-list 100 deny   ip any host 255.255.255.255
access-list 100 permit ip any any

!
! Configure some interface-based routing:
!
ip route YOUR.MAX.IP.ADDR 255.255.255.255 BRI0
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 YOUR.MAX.IP.ADDR

Naturally, there are differnet ways to skin this cat, but
this approach works nicely.  You can probably get away with
some named interface routes for your default route (ie:
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 BRI0) but I haven't tried.  Using
that technique will probably also eliminiate the need
for the host route to YOUR.MAX.IP.ADDR (again, I haven't
tried so I don't know).

Anything else?  Contact Cisco for additional assistance
or use their very helpful web site at http://www.cisco.com

John