(ASCEND) LAN Security Error

We're running a MAX 4048 with 7.0.22.  One customer (out of hundreds at
this site) is having a very bizarre problem.  When they connect and attempt
to log in, the MAX screen shows "LAN security error" and their username.
The login attempt doesn't appear in the radius server's logs, so it appears
that the Max is rejecting the user without asking radius.  Since it displays
the
correct user name, it's getting at least part of the login data correctly.

This problem appears to have started when we upgraded from 7.0.4 to
7.0.22.  The 22 version has fixed some other problems, so we don't want
to drop back to 4 unless we have to.

The customer is using Win98.  We've checked everything several times.  We
had him reinstall all the drivers, but nothing makes any difference.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bob