Re: (ASCEND) broadcast IP on WAN

> hi, All
>
>       We have a broadcast program.  And I put 192.168.100.1/24 on ascend WAN Po
> ol-6 field.
>       When user connected,  Ascend will assign  single IP between 192.168.100.1
>  ~ 192.168.100.254.
>       But I sent broadcast packet to 192.168.100.255 by UDP port 12000 for thes
> e users.
>       The client PC can't receive anything.

The concept of a broadcast does not apply to unnumbered point to point
links. It is only a LAN concept. (It can apply degeneratively to NUMBERED
point to point links, but it's not really useful there)

In fact, there is no reason why you can't assign 192.168.100.0 and
192.168.100.255 as valid IP addresses for users: designating a pool
of addresses for assignment to dialup callers does not cause the last
one of this group to become a broadcast address or anything else.

*EXCEPT* that Ascend does not correctly support what I've stated in the
previous paragraph, and I've always wondered why!

-Phil