Re: (ASCEND) Survey on what people use for accounting log parsing

Keith,

I searched for close to two years for a script that would provide on line
feed back to the customer and create nice reports for me. Everything I found
was tied together with a billing package. I don't need a billing package. I
had been running one script for about a year and a half that parses the
detail file and creates a single record for every stop event. I then
downloaded that file into Microsoft Excel and massaged it a bit and then
copied it into Microsoft Access. Along with a user name grep and information
on all of our account types allowed me to create a usage report for all
users. We have only time based accounts so over use was of particular
interest.

Recently, (within the month) I took the bull by the horns and wrote several
scripts to automate the whole sequence and stay on my UNIX box with
everything. Now each user can log in to the cgi script to access a summary
of their usage for the last 4 months. It even does multiple accounts for
users that have more than one login id.

Bottom line, every site probably has custom needs so that means customized
software. Write it yourself.

Dave Joyce
Internet Manager
Rochester Telephone Company