(ASCEND) Modem RX level connected to Max4000

Dear all,

I have been noticing that using the same, modem, the same computer, same
phone line. The RX level
when connecting to a MAX is lower than when connecting to other Access
Servers.  Has anyone else
notice this?  Consider the following, The max on several attempts on the
same or different exchanges
give RX as 18 (not that bad, I think).  Other access Servers gives between
13-15.  The max are configured with either 6.1.7 or 7.0.1 and MDM TRN Level
of -13.  Not knowing much about modems, are there any  correlation between
MDM TRN level and the RX level on the client side modem? Has anyone, tried
setting a
different  MDM TRN level using the new AT feature on 7.0.x?

Note: all output below are from a client side modem.
Connecting to a Non Max4000.

TERMINATION REASON.......... LOCAL REQUEST
LAST TX rate................ 31200 BPS
HIGHEST TX rate............. 31200 BPS
LAST RX rate................ 50667 BPS
HIGHEST RX rate............. 50667 BPS
PROTOCOL.................... LAPM
COMPRESSION................. V42Bis
Line QUALITY................ 025
Rx LEVEL.................... 015

Another Sample different Access Server.

at &v1
TERMINATION REASON.......... LOCAL REQUEST
LAST TX rate................ 28800 BPS
HIGHEST TX rate............. 28800 BPS
LAST RX rate................ 50667 BPS
HIGHEST RX rate............. 50667 BPS
PROTOCOL.................... LAPM
COMPRESSION................. V42Bis
Line QUALITY................ 021
Rx LEVEL.................... 013

Finally, the Max4000

at&v1
TERMINATION REASON.......... LOCAL REQUEST
LAST TX rate................ 28800 BPS
HIGHEST TX rate............. 28800 BPS
LAST RX rate................ 50667 BPS
HIGHEST RX rate............. 50667 BPS