Re: (ASCEND) P75s and 5.1

On 21 January 1998, Kevin A. Smith <kevin@ascend.com> wrote:
> At 10:10 AM 1/21/98 -0800, Michael Medwid wrote:
> >
> >Our Pipeline 75s are now coming in installed with 5.1 code.  Any feedback
> >on this release?
> >We need IP, IPX, NAT (one to many), DHCP spoofing.  Thanks.
>
> I'm only using it for IP, telecommuting, I dial back into Ascend corporate.
>
> I've had great success since upgrading to 5.1Ap6 (the only problems I'd
> had previously was if I left the session up for hours - maybe 6 or so, then
> I started to find some new TCP sessions would fail).

I still have the problem Kevin describe above in 5.1Ap6 on my (old)
Pipeline 75. I reported this to emeasupport earlier today (appended below)!

> I'll be trying out 5.1Ap9 and the 6.0 BETA releases this weekend....

Any feedback etc?

We realy need a stable P75, MAX 4K and Radius setup for our
telecomuting users. We are close, but there are still some annoying
problems with the P75 and Radius.

> Kevin
>

> ++ Ascend Users Mailing List ++

---------------------------- Begin included text -----------------------------
Ticket # 260750

We have an "old" Pipeline 75 (S/N 721xxxx), running 5.1Ap6 (b.p75) and
configured for single adress NAT. The problem usually occours after more
than 8 hours of usage, and usually shortly after renewed authentication.

We use SAFEWORD and CACHE-TOKEN to authenticate our users. This makes the
problem worse, because we can *not* do a "system reset" within an
"authentication period" without loosing the "session shared secret" used by
the P75 and Radius. If we in this case do a system reset, then we must wait
untill the cached "session shared secret" expires from the radius cache,
before the P75 can be used again (in our setup this can be upto 8 hours).

The only circumvention that we have been able to use, are to do a preventive
system reset *between* "autentication periods".

Regards Thomas
--
 Thomas Falk Claezon             ERICSSON, AXE Research and Development
 Phone:   +46 8  727 34 12       Box 1505

 PGP Public Key:  http://www.elfi.adbkons.se/~falk/PGP.html
 PGP Fingerprint: 0E 0F 39 7C 1D C4 7E 2C  66 DB 20 49 9B DB BB 56