(ASCEND) DNS on the Pipeline

One of my users stopped getting DNS services earlier in the week.  He's
using Win95 and a Pipeline 75 to
come into our Max4004.  The DNS is set up like this..

20-B00 Mod Config
 x DNS...
 x >Domain Name=symantec.com
 x  Sec Domain Name=
 x  Pri DNS=0.0.0.0
 x  Sec DNS=0.0.0.0
 x  Allow As Client DNS=Yes
 x  List Attempt=No
 x  List Size=N/A
 x  Client Pri DNS=0.0.0.0
 x  Client Sec DNS=0.0.0.0
 x  Enable Local DNS Table=No
 x  Loc.DNS Tab Auto Update=No

And in Win95 DNS is enabled and a host name and domain are specified but
there are no
DNS servers listed.

We set no DNS entries in the Pipelines because if we changed our DNS
servers in the future - we didn't
want to do maintenance on 150 Pipelines scattered from here to Nova Scotia.
  Nearly all of our users
are thus configured and have no problem obtaining a DNS entry - presumably
propagated from the Max.
I went throught the Pipeline documentation and it does not seem to speak to
 how a DNS server is discovered
when none is specified on the Pipeline or on the client.  Yet in practice I
 know that it does.  What is
the mechanism?  And - any thoughts why in this one case it might have
stopped working?

Thanks.

-Michael