Re: (ASCEND) Re: 5.1Ap9 for Pipelines (features and Linux setup as well)

> I have since looked at syslog output via Linux/syslogd since I can't get
> syslogd working under Win95. The P75 wants an IP for syslog, but since I use
> a dynamic IP I can't assign one under Win95. I don't see a whole lot of
> useful info provided by the P75 syslog output. It does not even pass the
> calling number to the log :-(

I've used SL4NT (syslog for NT) with success.  I believe there's a
version that runs under Windows 95.

My Pipeline 75, running 5.1Ap2, does syslog the incoming phone
number.... most of the time.  Sometimes, it just logs "MBIDxxx".  This
especially happens on calls that come from a pbx... I guess the telco
doesn't pass the onfo along.

The irritating thing that it does is "hold" the syslog info for a while.
Sometimes, it seems to syslog events as they happen.  Other times,
they seem delayed.  Still other times, the pipeline doesn't seem to
send the info until it has something else to send.  For example, I
could receive a call while I'm not home and nothing is logged.
However, when I sit down at the computer and cause the ISDN link to
work to come up, it then decides to syslog the fact that I had a call
while I was gone and then the fact that I brought up the MPP link to
work.  Solaris syslogd (as all Unix syslogds) timestamp the message when
the computer receives it.  This causes the timestamps to be wrong
enough of the time that I don't trust them.

--
Earl Barfield  --  Operations Department / Information Technology
Internet: Earl.Barfield@oit.gatech.edu    earl@prism.gatech.edu