Re: (ASCEND) 100Mbit ISDN Solution

At 14:47 1998/01/20 -0500, Danny Williams wrote:
>It is rather a shame that it takes a $265 add-on to use a $600
>router in what is becoming a common small network setup. My guess
>is that fast ethernet chips can't cost all that much more than the
>10Mb/s ones in there now. Certainly the adapter prices are very
>close between 10, 10/100 and 100.

A distributor that I buy from, now has 3com PC 10bT cards
priced exactly the same as 10bT/100bTx cards,
so there is no reason left to _not_ put 100M cards
in every desktop PC, so 100M only networks will logically follow.

In Ascend's defense, most router products do still
have only 10bT half-duplex ports, including most boxes from cisco,
the ones that can do 100M are usually the higher end modular units that
let you select exactly what cards/modules to install, similar to a TNT.

Do you expect Ascend to also produce models with builtin
token ring ports? I do have customer's who use it,
and the solution was a TR<-->10bT bridge to put in the middle.
similar are those who have only small, single hub 100bTx networks,
using a small switch (say 4 ports) with the router on one port,
the hub on one port, and two ports for servers or future hubs.

-Jim H
----
Jim Howard             Sr Network Engineer        Lyceum Internet
jhoward@lyceum.com     http://www.lyceum.com/     404.248.1733

My PGP Public Key: http://www.lyceum.com/~jhoward/pgp-key.txt
Fingerprint: 7E8B E2BA 1314 2535 CB08  CFF9 119B 7CD3 2488 954D