Re: (ASCEND) Interest poll for comp.dcom.sys.ascend

On Mon, 19 Jan 1998, Kevin A. Smith wrote:

> My only concern all along with this idea, has been with duplication of
> effort. So many times I see the same question posted to 3 or 4 mailing
> lists, also to comp.dcom.isdn and comp.dcom.servers...now to add
> another one with every Ascend question...often I'll reply on the list
> I was watching at the time, only to see it on numerous other lists and
> not get any reply - readers of those lists don't get to follow the
> full thread! (If all of the lists/groups are in the headers, then
> it's a different case).

Well, hopefully as word got out that the group existed, all of the
Ascend questions would move to the proper group.  At the very least, a
good portion of the repeat offenders would move. :)

There's always the option, as other groups have done, of making a
gateway between the mailing list and the newsgroup, but I hesitate to
bring this up lest I be seen as someone trying to "take away" an
existing, effective resource.  Doing things that way, though, has some
advantages:

1) The obvious one -- everybody gets the benefit of both the list and
the group.
2) Given that the newsgroup would be jump-started by the mailing list,
the normal techniques developed here on the list would be normal
behavior on the newsgroup (adding "(ASCEND)" to the Subject header,
etc.), and could help the gateway make an automatic determination of
which posts to pass on to the list.  Any post lacking such a tage could
then be referred to a human to determine whether it was spam or such,
protecting the mailing list subscribers from the ravages of Usenet.

Again, this is just a suggestion, and I certainly don't have any
ulterior motives by suggesting it.  I definitely do not want to be seen
as the newcomer who wandered in and tried to hijack the mailing list.

--
Devin L. Ganger <devin@premier1.net>
Chief Systems Administrator