(ASCEND) K56Flex vs. K56Plus

In the TServe Options... menu there is an option to set the MDM Moduation to
either K56FLEX or K56PLUS.  What is the significance between these two
settings?  Is FLEX capable of connecting to Lucent and Rockwell whereas PLUS
only connects to Rockwell?

I was poking around looking at settings trying to find why our USR X2
customers are having so many problems keeping a routed connection to us.
Sometimes they just freeze up.  I'm not sure if it's a problem with the
client side modem ONLY or communication between the MAX and the USR X2
modem...  Any tips appreciated!