Re: (ASCEND) MAX 4048 + 5.0Ap38 oddity

On Fri, 16 Jan 1998, Jason Nealis wrote:

>  Wierd, I'm running AP38 and I haven't seen any of these resets, But,
> users have been complaining about horrible throughput in some of the
> sites. (Do all of your max's reboot?)

> >       EVERYONE PLEASE READ if you're using 5.0Ap38

None of them reboot.  None of them report anything in the fatal log
either.  Only the throughput to the dialup user suffers.  It suffers
bigtime, and from what I've seen, it's actually a timing issue or
something odd.

When I went to the site that was giving me the biggest problems, I put a
tberd 209a on each side of the CT1 (rx and tx) and the timing was okay.  I
then dialed into the max using a USRobotics courier.  What I found was
that the connection was not a 33600 connection dribbling data...  I got a
31200/9600 connection (which I take to mean 31200 receive, 9600 back to
the max).  I hung up and redialed using CRAPerterminal (I hate that piece
of sh1t) and with the modem speaker forced on (ATM2DT) and listened...
about five seconds into a completed connection the modem would repeatedly
retrain and resume passing data.  Every 15 seconds or so the modem would
quit passing data and retrain.  It did this over and over and over.  I
re-dialed about 30 times and had the same results.  All I could conclude
in the short amount of time that I had was that the code (5.0Ap38 tik.m40
DM12s) was causing the modems to go nuts (particularly the MAX modems'
receive side).  I fsave'ed and tload'ed 5.0Ap24 and rebooted and all the
problems immediately disappeared and our customers are happy again.

This max has all four wan ports active:

wan1 - ct1 dialup
wan2 - ct1 dialup
wan3 - MPP CT1 to a P130 (full ds1)
wan3 - PPP CT1 to a cisco 4500-M (full ds1)

ie0 - into a 10base-T hub that feeds other maxes on site.

This is a busy max.  Even so, the i960's load shouldn't have anything to
do with the individual modems in the cards.  Shouldn't.  Probably does,
but shouldn't.

Hopefully this will help someone in Alameda.

later...
jsb

--

      /