Re: (ASCEND) 128K ISDN on multiple Maxes

On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, Vernon Densler (System Administrator) wrote:

> I have 3 Max 4048's running PRI off of one dial in number.  If someone is
> calling in with 2 channels on ISDN and they happen to hit 2 different Maxes
> will they get connected on the second channel?  How does routing work if
> the IP is on 2 different boxes?

For something like this you have to use Stacking on the maxen.  Do so at
your own risk, it's never been very stable.  :)

You might want to have the telco assign each PRI a second number just for
it (or one number per max, hunting over two PRI's). Now your 128K
customers can be assured of getting both channels on one max simply by
dialing one of these special numbers.  Of course, if you use stacking,
then you can make decent use of NFAS, and save some channels  :)

In short, stacking is the best choice, but if you are also using OSPF it
is reported not to work very well.  Don't ask me though, I use neither
OSPF nor stacking :)