(ASCEND) Re: ascend-users-digest V96 #972

>5.0Ap16 was a very stable release for us.  We are running Max4000s with
>3-4 PRI with usually 2 for ISD and 1 or 2 for Analog.  We have ospf
>enabled and were stacking across chasis and the only problems we had >were
>with USR modems, which is one reason why I upgraded some of our boxes >to
>5.0Ap38.  However, you will see your boxes reboote within 3 days with >OSPF
>and stacking turned on.  If you are just doing stacking, then you're
>mileage may vary, and I'd be interested to see how it works for you.
>
>Regards,
>Joe Shaw - jshaw@insync.net

Joe,

This is a known bug TR2930 that Ascend is working on a fix for.  They
gave me an estimate of "at least two weeks" about two weeks ago.  They
also gave me a few suggestions to ease things until the fix arrives...

1.  An upgrade to 5.0Ap38 on all 4 of our Max 4000's:  Previously we
were running 5.0Ap33.  (5.0Ap33 was worse.)

2.  Turning "Pool Summary=Yes" in Ethernet->Mod Config->Wan Options.

3.  Setting the "Priority=0" in Ethernet->Mod Config->OSPF Options.

4.  Place the max in any area other than 0(backbone). This will prevent
other areas from injecting Summary Links to the area where Maxen are
located.

5.  Place the max in a stub area(if only modem users connect to the max
and they get IP from pool).

Read up on Pool Summary before applying that one before you use it in
case you are assigning addresses from pools in RADIUS which allows any
any of your Maxen to have addresses assigned from the same address
block.  I had to assign /26 address subnets to use for pools for each
individual Max first.  Pool summary will then summarize the routing
announcements to your OSPF network, i.e. instead of having a single /32
route to every individual dialup customer announced to each other Max on
your network, you'll have a single /26 route for all of the dialups on
that Max announced to the other Maxen.  It shortens your routing table
considerably, especially if you have a lot of Maxen.  Sort of like using
CIDR.

Todd Bishop
Unicom Communications, Inc.