Re: (ASCEND) Establishing P75 connection to ISP takes long time

So I am guessing that you are the ISP that Peter is having a problem with?

So you say that the login times get very very high, until you reboot the
MAX and then the login times get back down to a second or so? That's bad,
but I am sure you know that already.

Well, first of all if you could include every detail you can think of in an
email back to the list or to me privately, that would help. As in what ver
of RADIUS are you running? What platform are you running it on. How long
does it take the MAX until it must be rebooted? When this slow down occurs,
does it affect all users? Does it affect a local connection profile user,
when the slow down occurs? Do you see this problem occur when the box is
heavily under load, or has been heavily utilized. Do you have many other
devices using the same RADIUS server, do they see slow downs at the same
time the MAX does, or is it just this *one* MAX?... etc etc...

thanks
luke

At 10:16 PM 1/13/98 -0600, Roger Salisbury wrote:

>	I have a Netwarp 128, Pipeline 50, Pipeline 75, and a MAX. My radius
>is not setup incorrectly. The problem does happen in the radius
>auth process, gradually getting worse until a reboot of the MAX
>gets the login time back to less than a second growing more and more
>until the next MAX reboot.
>
>	2.2.9 on the Netwarp, 5.1Ap9 on the Pipelines, and 5.0Ap38 on the
>MAX.
>

>> Date:          Tue, 13 Jan 1998 15:30:58 -0600
>> To:            peterb@fredbom.se (Peter Bjorkbom)
>> From:          Luke Parrish <lparrish@iAmerica.net>
>> First of all, *No* it should not take 5 or 6 seconds to establish a
>> connection. I would guess that this hold up, is caused by the RADIUS
>> authentication process. I assume they are using RADIUS. They either have
>> their RADIUS server setup incorrectly, or they have a *very* large list of
>> users in their users file. And the MAX is having to search through every
>> single one of them to log you in... We had this problem earlier in the
>> year, this was fixed by taking all hostnames out of our clients file, and
>> putting only ip address's.
>>
>> When you do talk to your ISP about this, ask them if they are using local
>> authentication or RADIUS, and if RADIUS, ask them if that could maybe be
>> the problem...
>>
>> Then again that could have nothing at all to do with it... But thats my
guess.

>> At 08:28 AM 1/14/98 -0000, you wrote:
>> >Im using a Pipeline 75 for internet access with static IP adressing.
>> >
>> >It is working fine with one exception - it takes 5 to 6 seconds to connect
>> to the ISP.
>> >
>> >The ISP is using Ascend equipment at their end (MAX. I do not know the
>> exact model and software release yet - hoping that the big ISP company will
>> provide me with that info SOON!!!)
>> >
>> >I have tried many, many different configurations (turned on and off most
>> features that can be configured in the P75 including different compression
>> schemes, PPP-MPP, etc.), but none
>> >of this made no difference.
>> >
>> >I have noticed that the CRC: field in the 20-300 'WAN Stat' box increments
>> by 1 or 2 each time the P75 connects to the ISP. This happens between the
>> Call Connected message and the LAN Session Up message. It seems that there
>> is a problem during that stage in the connection. I believed that it might
>> be a bit-failure in the ISDN connection and therefore had the Telco check
>> it out. Their testing equipment states that there is not a single bit
>> failure on the ISDN line!
>> >
>> >Im sick and tired of this and have started to dream at night of other
>> router brands (last time was a ACC Congo Voice Router...help...).
>> >
>> >Is this behavior of the P75 connection acceptable or normal? Ive seen
>> other people having a connection time near 1 second using other routers.
>> >
>> >Does anyone have a clue?
>> >
>Roger Salisbury
>AXS4U Networking Inc.
>rogers@axs4u.net
> [...]

* Luke Parrish           *     Email lparrish@iamerica.net        *
* LDS-iAmerica, ISP      *     Pager 1-800-789-6062 x3910         *
* Network Engineer       *     Phone 1-800-789-6062 x3010         *
* AS 4958                *     http://cust.iamerica.net/lparrish  *