(ASCEND) digital modem code

I'm comparing performance (connect speed) between my new Max 4004s and my
old Xyplex 1620 + rack-mounted Motorola Codex modems.

I typically see connect speeds in the range of 19.2 - 21.6 to the Maxen,
with occasional drops to 9.6 or 14.4 and occasional leaps to 24.0.

I typically see connect speeds in the range of 24.0 - 26.4 to the Motorola
Codex, with occasional leaps to 28.8.

Telco architecture is as follows:
Four analog T1s from LEC terminating on an in-house Nortel Meridian 81c.
PRI from the 81c to the Maxen; analog lines from the 81c to the
rack-mounted bank of Motorola Codex.

I have a single PRI from the LEC to my 81c, and when I hit the Maxen
across this, I get 31.2 - 33.6 every time.  (To my mind, this test
eliminates the local PRI, e.g. the 81c to Maxen PRI, as a possible source
of problems.)

(Obvious answer is to replace the analog T1s with PRI ... but there is a
large cost factor here.  My company buys its local telephone service from
the LEC across these T1s ... very cheap ... going to PRI means another
30K/yr.)

I've amassed a couple hundred data points now, using various
brands/models of incoming modems, specifically USR 33.6 Sportster &
Courier, Supra 33.6, Codex 28.8.

5.0Ap38 on the Maxen.  I've seen the same behavior from 5.0Ap5 through
5.0Ap38.

>From this, I conclude that the Codex chipset does a better job of
handling modem calls across analog T1 than does the Rockwell code in the
Maxen's digital modems.

Can anyone offer me a different explanation?  Or more detail as to
why I am seeing this behavior?

--sk

Stuart Kendrick
FHCRC