(ASCEND) P-75 will not disconnect to remote LAN

I have a P-75 connected at our main office to a remote LAN, and the WAN
connection will not die.  I have setup the router for routing, and ~not~
for bridging, but I am receiving one packet of data from the remote LAN
every 30 seconds or so.  I have enabled RIP at the p-75 site, and suspect
that might have something to do with this matter.

The remote LAN is connecting with a 3Com router to our main office LAN
(NT4.0 PDC).  I would appreciate any insight as to what to try, etc.

John Gill