Re: (ASCEND) Ascend-Disconnect-Cause

On Sun, 1 Feb 1998, Troy Settle wrote:

> There's lots of other causes here.  Did I mention bad phone lines or
> telco switch?  All in all, we've come to the conclusion that 185's are a
> fact of life, and we're slowly learning to accept them as normal. (it's[...]

This is my first posting to the mailing list, and I guess it's as good a place
to jump in as any -- I've recently become responsible for a pair of MAXen..
only one of which is in use at the moment: a MAX4048, running 5.0Ap11 with 48
k56 modems on a PRI T1. Only 23 channels are in use.. it's a startup company,
with an extremely modest client base.

Anyways, we've been seeing a tremendous number of Disconnect-Cause 11's -
"Modem detected DCD but became inactive" according to the manual.  But, also
according to the manual this error is only supposed to show up during the
initial modem connection process.  We've been seeing it anywhere from 30
seconds to 13 hours into a call.  The line is still up, but dialup users can't
ping the MAX, and the MAX can't ping them.  Eventually they hang up and the
cause-code 11 is entered in the log.

Some of the comments on the list regarding rockwell incompatibilities looked
like they might be applicable, but the dialup users having the problems are
using several different modems from 9600 baud up, including some 14.4 USR
Sportsters which I use at the office on a test box, and have never had a
problem with.

Can anyone (gently.. this is all new to us. :-)) suggest what I'm doing wrong,
and where I might look for pointers on how to put it right?  I've read the
list, checked the FAQs, and gone through the manuals..  I'm at a bit of a
loss, and we don't have so many customers that I want to lose any of them at
this point.

Any help much appreciated.  Thanks!
 -Steve.