Re: (ASCEND) Ascend-Disconnect-Cause

From: Kurt Schafer <kschafer@cyberbeach.net>

>I've started tracking the Ascend-Disconnect-Cause on our SQL server and
>notice the top two disconnect codes are 45 (number 1) and 185. (number
2)

>Does this sound OK ? Code 185 sounds reasonable Remote End Hung Up) but
I'm
>not so sure about cause code 45 (PPP - Receive Terminate Req )

45 should be the most common, this means that the user requested to
terminate the PPP session.

Ascend has a FAQ thingy on code 185, which can usually be attributed to:
- bad phone lines/switch
- improper disconnects
    (turning off modem/PC without killing DUN)
- bad phone lines/switch
- cat knocking modem off the desk, causing it to come unplugged
    (paraphrased from ascend's web site)
- bad phone lines/switch
- someone picked up another phone while the user was online
- bad phone lines/switch
- bad weather

There's lots of other causes here.  Did I mention bad phone lines or
telco switch?  All in all, we've come to the conclusion that 185's are a
fact of life, and we're slowly learning to accept them as normal. (it's
still a bitch to explain to a customer that they can't get a good
connection because their basement is flooded or the telco has buried
lines in wet ground without proper shielding).

--
  Troy Settle <st@i-Plus.net>
  Network Administrator, iPlus Internet Services