(ASCEND) Modems stay connected - but connection goes dead

I recently switched to MSN w/ UUNET-provided local access # which I believe
uses AscendMax equipment.

Anyone have ideas on this problem?:
Using USR/Sportster ext 1786-02 v 5.0.0 firmware, NT4SP6 RAS/DUNs, COMPort
speed set to 115.2k. I experience 'random' total loss of connectivity. No
DNS. Tracert to an IP address fails. Modem is connected. Appears fine.
Net.Medic shows tx of requests, but there is nothing coming back.

If I download a highly compressible text file, this failure is almost
certain to occur [and modems are likely to exceed 115.2kbps throughput];
re-dial; re-connect fine - will probably fail again if d/l is resumed. (This
is d/l of ~20mb server log file.)

SOMETIMES - if I keep trying to access things, the modem will retrain,
pause, retrain, and repeat until disconnected [this has happened w/ both USR
& LT; I keep my modem speaker on at low volume so I always hear any
retrains.]

If I use LT Win Modem, rarely happens (but has happened).

If I use another ISP (w/ 3Com equipment) doesn't happen with either modem.

My connections average 48k; range from 46.6 - 49.3k.

Any ideas? Is this a problem w/ the Max?  [Also note: Both the LT and USR
modems get poor upstream rates to the Ascend box: 21.6 - 24k; to 3Com boxes,
26.4-31.2 will be achieved. Downstream rate from the Ascend is about the
same or 1 notch lower than to 3Com boxes.... I believe this is almost always
the case - Ascend will give ~25% lower upstream rates on 56k connects.]

Aloha,
Richard Gamberg
http://808hi.com/56k/ 56k=v.Unreliable