(ASCEND) Ethernet problem on 6096 (6.1.7)

All,

I've got a Max 6096, running 6.1.7, all has been well for well over 2
months.

This morning, it lost it's ability to communicate over the ethernet port.  I
dialed into it to do some diagnostics, and adding a second IP to the
interface caused the ethernet to come back up.

A few hours later, it did this again.  This time, I rebooted the thing.

And a few more hours pass, and guess what!  Yep, you got it, ethernet down
again.  Making an insignifigant change to the ethernet config caused it to
start working again.

The hub it's plugged into is fine.  All other devices plugged into the same
hub (4048, 4004, 2xp50, 2501, FreeBSD box) are all fine.

I can't find an explanation for this, Ascend doesn't have weekend support
that costs less than a small fortune, and I sure as hell don't want to sit
here all weekend babysitting the thing.

Anyone out there have any suggestions?  I'm now in the process of doing an
fclear and reconfig.  Hope it helps, but dunno...

TIA,

Troy Settle