Re: (ASCEND) DSL-HST; DHCP; DSLTNT; Plug and Play problems.

> > I've never experimented with Pipelines getting their own IP addresses
> > with DHCP, I'm not really familiar with that feature either.
> > But, as an alternative for management of the Pipelines, why don't you
> > connect them MPP (instead of the default Frame Relay), assuming you
> > don't need Frame Relay? Then the Pipelines can be manged without needing
> > to give them IP addresses.
>
> Do you get good performance from MPP?  Its been my experience with ADSL at
> least, that FR is much faster.

I don't know. I always use Frame Relay with DSL because:

1. It's the default configuration
2. Just in case I _do_ want to make switched PVCs or use some kind of
   Frame Relay traffic management feature
3. Because one of the big advantages of PPP, its support for authentication,
   is not needed on 'hardwired' end to end (or leased) circuits such as DSL
   is.

so I never bothered to try PPP. But I don't imagine it would be slower.
After all, it's just a different header format, it's still all HDLC at the
base. However, not having tried it, I don't know. So you are probably
right.

> How can you manage them without giving them IPs?

MPP between Ascend products supports in band remote management as a
special feature. It does not run over IP, so the Pipeline doesn't need
an IP address. It works from one hop away over MPP. Use the 'remote'
command on the TNT (but be aware that the release notes for 7.0.22
claim that the remote command was broken in all versions prior to
7.0.22).

-Phil