(ASCEND) routing tftp - was P50 & forgotten password?

Burkhard Weeber writes:
 > Well,
 > I've never been able to get tftp routed.
 > I tries many UNIXs like AIX, SINIX, Linux, HP-UX and with all of them tftp only works as long as you are in the same IP-namespace. I tried it with a Linux machine as a router and got telnet or ftp fine, but tftp said "connection timed out".

	Are you guys talking about TFTP as in Trivial File Transfer
Protocol? It uses UDP, why wouldn't the packets between a TFTP server
and a TFTP client be routable?

	Most TFTP clients I've seen can't deal with packet fragmentation
very well, and of course given that it's a high security risk most people
block TFTP at the firewall. I'd wager that one (or both) of those reasons
are conspiring against you using TFTP over the Internet.

 > I heard something about it that tftp rather takes the MAC address to reply than the IP address.

	New one on me, but what do I know?

-jav