Re: (ASCEND) VPN Help

At 06:53 PM 8/3/99 +1000, Ray Brighenti wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Please don't flame me if these questions seem basic as I haven't even
>looked into this sort of stuff yet (although the manual is coming out
>tonite) and just need some direction here.
>
>Is it possible to have a VPN between two remote locations without the
>clients computers having to do anything with establishing the VPN.
>ie When they dial into the NAS's at either end the NAS handles all the
>encryption and associated work to do with the VPN and the Win machines
>simply think they're dialing straight into their network.
>
>- If so is this PPTP, ATMP or something else?
>- We have a Max4000(6.1.3) does the other end need to be a Max as well (or
>would it just make it easier to set up)

The PC's don't need to know about PPTP, L2TP or ATMP. VPN doesn't
necessarily mean encryption though and none of these protocols provide
encryption. They only provide VPN tunnels. IPsec provides encryption. The
Max4000 doesn't support encryption. Check the Pipelines out.

The 4000 does handle PPTP, L2TP and ATMP though. Also IP-direct and Frame
Relay Direct. Check the VPN section of the manual. You can also ftp your
own manual from ftp.ascend.com