Re: (ASCEND) Decoding PPPIF results

At 04:09 PM 4/27/98 +0100, Simon Rahilly wrote:
>Is there a resource available to enable me to work out whats happening in
>a pppif session? I'm trying to setup a P50 to access the internet via an
>Italian ISP. Everything was working fine until last week; connecting and
>pinging hosts on the P50. Now I'm refused a connection and the ISP is being
>less than helpful, so I'm trying to debug the negotiation stage.  Ascend
>pointed me to pppif and I sent them a copy of the session, but I can't
>make head or tail of it; RFC's don't seem to help either.
>Thanks for your help.

It's an old story that debug is not documented very well. The reason is that
it's content can/does change from point release to the next. There have been
some unofficial docs flying around, and I think TAC has access to them BUT
BEWARE that they are most likely out of date by the time they are printed.

They would however give a guideline for some of the debug output. Our
request all along has been to provide debug output for TAC to use in their
investigation. Those who have been on Ascend training courses also can
typically follow the basic debug output. Debug is not meant to be used by
typical end-users to troubleshoot, unless guided by TAC engineers - there
are simply too many variables to document them all "up to date".

One debug output that *is* useful if you can read the PPP RFCs and convert
from HEX output is the "wandisplay 64" output. This gives HEX detail of the
PPP negotiation and the WAN session. For just the PPP negotiation, use
"wanopen 64"....

Kevin