Re: (ASCEND) Livingston/ascend integration questions

Just a few additions below:

On Thu, 23 Apr 1998, Joe  Shaw wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Apr 1998, Zach Tippit wrote:
> > We use a program called pmwho on our livingston boxes to see who's logged
> > in without actually telnetting to the thing.  Is there a similar program
> > available for the Max?
>
> Maxcall and other tools are available at ftp.communique.net/pub/max-tools-1.0/.
> It works on *NIX systems and you'll need perl 5.0 or greater.

That works well, but I've found it eaiser to "finger @<name or IP of MAX".
You can enable finger on some of the old 5.xAi releases, or in  any of the
6.x's.  Ethernet->Mod Config->(up arrow twice)->Finger=yes.  You can do
this from any Unix Host, or write a quick PERL script to do it from a web
page.  If you write the script, you can even poll all the Ascneds, and
PM's from the same web page, and chart what's happening.  I have a few
scripts if you'd like to take a look.

> > Our livingston login sequence first asks for the type of connection(ie
> > ppp, slip) and then asks for a login.  The Max wants the username and
> > password first and then the type of connection.  Any way to reverse this?
>
> The Max does this so that you can control what type of people get what
> type of access.  You can authenticate someone and then based on their
> radius profile they can either telnet straight to a shell or start
> ppp/slip.  The MAX can be set to start PPP/PAP by default and then drop to
> login/pass prompts for Auth if PPP isn't acknowledged.  However, I don't
> know if this sequence can be reversed.

This is actually the correct behavior for a NAS.  The MAX will allow SLIP
or PPP if you enable both these services.  It's eaiser to set your clients
to do PAP, and allow different services like telnet to be run from a
RADIUS profile.

Alex P