Re: (ASCEND) NAT, Pipe75, stops routing.

>On Mon, 6 Apr 1998, Matt Holdrege wrote:
>> For those who say they are having a problem, please post what software rev
>> you have and if you've opened a ticket with the TAC. FWIW, we have a heck
>> of a lot of people using NAT and they aren't all having problems.

Software +5.1A+
Up: 00:23:40:13
Access Router
Load: b2.p75

At 10:39 1998/04/06 -0400, Steve Camas wrote:
>What seems to happen is about every 24hrs all traffic stops going through.

this is just dependant on the traffic load,
I've seen one connection go for only 6-8 hours at 100% line usage,
but the same box goes from 4PM friday to 10AM monday w/o problem.

>Also, I really wish pinging would work when in NAT mode -- Our monitoring
>software uses ping to see what is up and what is not...  It does let
>someone from the inside ping something in the world but I have no way of
>pinging the router from the max4000 side.

you cannot ping, but you can open a raw TCP socket to a port on the
remote site (using static mappings)...

>Next time my customer says it
>stopped routing, I will try a 'hangup' on the session forcing ppp to
>reconnect... I wonder if this solves anyhing.....

I have my monitoring station open a socket to port 25 (SMTP) of the
WAN IP address of the router, the P75 then passes that to the client's
mail server inside. if this fails each time for five minutes,
I run an expect script that telnets to my Max, enters all passwords,
goes to term server, runs a "remote" to get to the client router,
enters passwords, then reboots it.
the expect script is flagged not to run again until after
a connection is successfull again so that if it is just
their mail server that is down, we don't get a continual reboot cycle.

I've been using this method since december and had no more
complaints from our customer, so had no desire to drive
an hour and a half to do any on-site tests.

-Jim H
----
Jim Howard             Sr Network Engineer        Lyceum Internet
jhoward@lyceum.com     http://www.lyceum.com/     404.248.1733

My PGP Public Key: http://www.lyceum.com/~jhoward/pgp-key.txt
Fingerprint: 7E8B E2BA 1314 2535 CB08  CFF9 119B 7CD3 2488 954D