Re: (ASCEND) Long login times on Max 4000

On Tue, Apr 14, 1998 at 01:09:59PM -0400, Brian Pavane wrote:

> Through the testing that has been done here at Liii it does not seem to
> slow down file transfers.  We did this testing over both analog and ISDN
> connections, and in all circumstances, file transfer rates were the same
> as before "enable software compression" was unchecked.

It's clear that using a link compression with modems has no real effect
because modems are doing V.42bis compression anyway and V.42bis will perform
slightly better than LZS. But keep in mind:

1) Any compression will only have effect if you download compressible data.
   Good reference is a News poll with NNTP (leafnode, INN+suck, Agent etc).
   I have a test file (Release notes for P50 4.4b for that matter ;) which
   is 1MB PostScript and downloads at 28K/s on a LZS compressed ISDN link.

2) In order to get LZS working against Win95, the Max must do MS-Stac (opt
   this in the NVRAM Profile, RADIUS or Answer).

3) PPP link compression may even be useful when using modems. Most likely
   if you have a PC with a broken UART (no or not working FIFO or FIFO
   thrashing due to "Enhanced" IDEs death-shooting of interrupts). You can
   than _disable_ V.42bis and run the modems plain V.42 but use PPP link
   compression. This will not limit your overall throughput with async
   line limits in general and comm overruns in particular. It should even
   be possible for the dumb average user (DAU) to switch modem compression
   off in Win95 because it has a checkbox for this - whether it actually
   works, don't ask me ;->

4) Keep in mind that if you use RADIUS accounting, the amount of data
   accounted is the _compressed_ data transferred, not the original data.
   This is the only _real_ reason to disallow compression IMHO.

--

Kanther-Line: PGP SSH IDEA MD5 GOST RIPE-MD160 3DES RSA FEAL32 RC4

| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |
| o | Andre' Beck (ABPSoft) beck@ibh-dd.de XLink PoP Dresden | o |