Re: (ASCEND) V.90 Status?

>From: Tuan Le <tuan@acc.com>
<snip>
>time, what modem vendors call "dual mode." If dial-in users upgrade to V.90
>before their ISP does, they could find themselves back in the world of V.34,
>connecting at 28.8 or 33.6 kbps. In the meantime, if you need to connect to
>both V.90 and K56flex sites, or if you upgrade to V.90 and want to go back,
>some modem vendors (for example Hayes) will offer tools for toggling the
>firmware between V.90 and K56flex. What a nightmare!!!! To fix that problem,
>Rockwell will ship new 56-kbps modems based on the new two-chip design which
>will have room for both V.90 and K56flex firmware.
<snip>

I understand the problem, and I don't underestimate it.

But...

1) The "nightmare" situation will last for a rather short period.  It will
   start when the first V90 upgrade for "1 Mbit flash" V90 is available.
   And end when all major ISP:s supports V90.

2) During that period, most customers upgrading will be rather experienced.
   They can download a flash upgrade without hassle.  And getting K56 back
   isn't more complicated than upgrading to V90 in the first place.

As for Rockwell based modems with "room for both V.90 and K56flex firmware":
They have been on the shelves since -97, but not in the cheapest lane ;-).