(ASCEND) MAX configuration to allow Single-Address NAT on Pipeline 75

Greetings and thanks to all who sent me configuration tips regarding my

I am attempting to configure a Pipeline 75 (software 6.02) to do
Single-Address NAT, connecting to an Ascend Max (software 5.0Ap36), and
still having problems. I've decided that I ought to double-check that my
settings on the MAX are correct.

I am under the assumption that, in order to allow single-address NAT on
Pipeline 75, there should be little to no special configuation on the
MAX; just assign the profile a /32 address and let the Pipeline take care
of the rest. Whether the user has an ISDN terminal adapter, and uses the
one IP address for their single workstation, or whether they plug in a
Pipeline 75 and do NAT, it seems that the MAX needn't know the
difference.

I notice when I 'show users' on the MAX, the NAT-using profile will be
listed only if I initiate the connection from the MAX, whereas calls
initiated from the Pipeline to the MAX authenticate but do not appear in
the 'show users' list.

I understand that multiple-address NAT would require use of DHCP, with
the MAX assigning additional addresses to the Pipeline as needed.
However, it seems that PPP should be enough in the single-address scenario.

Am I way off base here? Thanks in advance for your help.

Reid Knuttila
reidk@mr.net
Network Engineer
MRNet