Re: (ASCEND) Problem with connecting Solaris Box.

On Wed, Apr 08, 1998 at 05:00:09PM +0100, Paul Rhodes wrote:
> I've got an odd problem with one of our users. He is running on a Solaris
> box using the bundled ISDN software. After an indeterminate amount of time,
> the MAX will stop sending packets along the wan connection. We are
> currently running 6.0.2, if that makes a difference.
>
> I can see in the window below that I am still receiving data along from the
> other end of the ISDN connection, but when I try to send data, it just gets
> losts, and the Tx packets don't increment. Once the connection is reset it
> works fine for a period and then the same thing occurs. This seems to only
> be happening for this one user.

We are seeing this since 6.0.0 for a number of customers. It does not seem
to be related to what they run, it is sufficient to be syncPPP ISDN and it
happens. I have seen it against P50s (a lot), Linux with I4L and today
got a report of a DOS/ISPA/KA9Q setup (very popular "router" here in .de)
having these problem. The Max suddenly stops to send out on the link while
it is still up. Ascend Support has visited the Max closely and took a lot
of data. One thing we found out immediately is that 6.0.x up to .2 has a
leak in the filter code, causing filterEntry to grow without bounds. Just
have a look into the debug mode, command "pools". We assume that the
problem could be cause by filters, we have one one practically every profile.

Do you have a filter on this special profile ?

> We had a problem ages ago with MAXs losing routes, but that seemed to clear
> itself up. Is this the same thing ?

I don't think so, because the routes are, at least from the "show ip route"
command in the TermServ, still alive. There are also no ICMP messages.
The packets just vanish without a trace before going out. You can see
this again in the debug mode with wandsess.

We are now back at 5.0Ap13...

--

Kanther-Line: PGP SSH IDEA MD5 GOST RIPE-MD160 3DES RSA FEAL32 RC4

| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |
| o | Andre' Beck (ABPSoft) beck@ibh-dd.de XLink PoP Dresden | o |