(ASCEND) Re: GRF problems with gated

On Tue, 7 Apr 1998 19:30:56 +0100 (BST)
 Jim Dixon <jdd@vbc.net> wrote:

> Following this hint and ignoring your advice about Ascend's group
> type internal being broken, I reconfigured our routers to not use
> group type routing at all - I reconfigured both the GRF and our
> pentium-based gated routers to use only group type internal, using
> the gateway hack wherever necessary.  This turns out to work.

Yah it does in 1.3.11, 1.3.8 and group type internal a gdc reconfig
core dumps gated.

> The GRF, which was dropping the session every 30 seconds when using
> group type routing, is now quite stable using group type internal.

This must be OSPF. Which would worry me, my tests with OSPF didn't
exhibit this.

> Is there any reason to upgrade to 1.4.6?  Why is this expected to be
> difficult? - or do I misunderstand?

There are several reasons:

	1) GRARP is broken in many ways on 1.3.11 fixed in 1.4.6
	   If you run with Ethernet cards you _need_ this fix otherwise
	   boxes just fall of the net. I saw this at Demon but haven't seen
	   it at COLT this might be a misfeature of the network at Demon.
	2) SNMP is broken in many ways on 1.3.11 again slightly fixed in 1.4.6
	3) GateD and GSM has some new features like sh ip hidden...
	4) The ATM card has limited OAM support! WooHoo!
	5) The POS [Packet of SONET] card now support CISCO HDLC and
 	   Frame relay WooHoo!
	6) [Rumour has it you can actually use the external PCMCIA slots
		with this release but I've not tested it yet].

The reason I claim the difficulty is that the ATM card on the machine
is pretty limited in diagnostic reports and I have a very cool working
version on 1.3.11 which I'm loathed to break. Unfortunetly some of the
features above I need. The FDDI, Ethernet, POS cards work like a dream
though. I just want a Clear channel [ppp/chdlc] E1 FR E1 and ATM DS-3/E3
card [G.703] and then the I'd give this box the gold star. Oh and it would be
nice if no ip-directed broadcast was a feature and that the filterd could
filter packets other than tcp or udp such as GRE.  Of course what
would be really nice is for Ascend to reply to the countless emails
myself and my team have sent them on these issues. Gah gimme the source
code and I'll fix them myself. Although I'll start that war when I have
a P-130 or P-220 that actually works for longer than 6 hours. :/

Regards,
Neil.
--
Neil J. McRae. Alive and Kicking.