Re: (ASCEND) STAC Compression? (fwd)

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 20, 1998 at 04:16:12AM -0800, MegaZone wrote:

> >>2) Stac-9	(Draft 9 version aka RFC1974)
>
> AKA Stac LZS Option 3
>
> >>3) MS-Stac	(Mickeysoft MCPP or such aka RFC2118)
>
> This is NOT MPPC (MS PtP Packet Compression or Per Packet Compression, I
> forget which) - this is Stac LZS Option 4.  Also provided in the RFC.

I don't see an "Option 3" or "Option 4" in the RFC. All I see are the modes
used to ensure clean transmission which have numbers for their negotiation:

         0    None             (MAY be implemented; however, MUST
                                implement history count of zero)
         1    LCB              (MAY be implemented)
         2    CRC              (MAY be implemented)
         3    Sequence Number  (MUST be implemented)
         4    Extended Mode    (MAY be implemented)

Is that what you mean ? If yes I would not see any reason why we would
need to specify "Stac-9" or "MS-Stac" for a profile because any decent
implementation will be able to negotiate what it speaks - Mode 3 is the
default anyway and not supporting it would be a RFC violation. Thus M$
must be able to fallback to sequence numbers from their esoteric extended
mode if they don't want to violate the RFC (which isn't really a problem
for them and it is an informational RFC so we should not go crazy about
this either). So what does the Max really do when I say MS-Stac ? Will it
refuse to fallback to mode 3 as well ? And what if I say Stac-9 and the
peer tries to negotiate for extended mode ? Or - big bummer - for CRC ?
I understand that "Stac" may be a mode that is incompatible with the
negotiations of the implementations which follow RFC 1974 and thus need
separation from the compatible one, but why are Stac-9 and MS-Stac sepa-
rated if they could just be negotiated ? Or is M$'s implementation just
broken and MS-Stac helps it to survive negotiations ? What about a new
option "RFC1974" that just adheres to the written word and also points
the interested one directly to a proper documentation of what is done
inside the box ?

Interested,
Andre.
--

Kanther-Line: PGP SSH IDEA MD5 GOST RIPE-MD160 3DES RSA FEAL32 RC4

| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |
| o | Andre' Beck (ABPSoft) beck@ibh-dd.de XLink PoP Dresden | o |