Re: (ASCEND) New TNT and CSMX cards

I am currently running 12.0.3 on one of my cisco routers (that is the most
current upgrade I have done) -- I had to switch to this mainly so I could
use all the media cards in my router, and enable IRB (integrated routing
and bridging) for some of my DSL services.  Cisco does release upgrades
and fixes from time to time, but for basic services such as frame relay,
T1, etc, they are about as solid as anything you'll ever see out there.
The TNT is a solid platform in a lot of ways, but I would never use it as
a core component in my backbone.  They just aren't stable enough yet.
They are a lot better than they used to be though... here is a small
comparison for you:

the router I referred to above was upgraded to 12.0.3 a little over a
month ago -- I haven't rebooted it since:

access uptime is 5 weeks, 12 hours, 41 minutes
System restarted by reload at 01:36:28 CST Wed Mar 3 1999
System image file is "slot0:c7200-ds-mz_120-3"

(hardware includes a channelized DS-3 card, 100TX I/O card, 8 port v.35
serial interface, and some other miscellaneous stuff -- routing about 20+
T1's through this box plus some Frame-Relay connections to GTE that our
GTE DSL customers access through.  Load balancing several T1's with CEF,
and running OSPF).

Here is the uptime on one of my TNT's (not actually reset since upgrading
to 7.0.4):

admin> uptime -a
14:19:56
{ shelf-1 slot-1 }          8t1-card   32 days 12:49:03        7.0.4
{ shelf-1 slot-3 }       4ether-card   24 days 02:22:19        7.0.4
{ shelf-1 slot-4 }  48modem-56k-card   32 days 12:46:53        7.0.4
{ shelf-1 slot-6 }        hdlc2-card    6 days 02:10:43        7.0.4
{ shelf-1 slot-7 }          8t1-card   32 days 12:49:03        7.0.4
{ shelf-1 slot-8 }  48modem-56k-card   32 days 12:46:53        7.0.4
{ shelf-1 slot-10 }  48modem-56k-card   32 days 12:46:53        7.0.4
{ shelf-1 slot-12 }  48modem-56k-card   32 days 12:46:53        7.0.4
{ shelf-1 slot-15 }  48modem-56k-card   32 days 12:46:53        7.0.4
{ shelf-1 controller }  shelf-controller   32 days 12:49:37        7.0.4

A few glitches (ether and HDLC-2) -- but overall running pretty good...

I remember a couple of years back when my TNT's were lucky to make it 3
days without a reboot... ;-)

--
William Charnock
CTO, FastLane Internet Services