(ASCEND) LT WinModem and 7.0.4. New Rockwell code fixes LTWinModem connection problems.

Hey all,

We just discovered the most surprising thing about the 7.0.3/7.0.4 code.

The new rockwell code has a provision for detecting digital line impairments
that helps Lucent-based v.90 modems connect at the best possible speed.

The difference is that an LT winmodem connects at 34k or 36k every time
to a Max 40xx running 7.0.1, and connected at 42.7k-46k with 7.0.3/7.0.4

Every time.

7.0.4 has been running very stable on all the maxes that I've upgraded so far.
My recommendation on 7.0.4 is now a strong "yes, go ahead" if anyone cares.

We are trialing the CVX-1800 from Nortel and somehow managed to crash
the thing on day one of the trial.  Unfortunately, we weren't trying to crash
it.  I
typed "exit" and wham the thing had an OS panic.  The CVX-1800 can
support up to 1344 calls if you plug a DS3 of dialtone into it, and only 1250
if you plug in a crapload of T1/PRI's, in a single 17" cube-shaped unit.  The
per-port cost is amazingly good, but man, I can't live with a device that will
spontaneously reboot and drop over 1,000 callers.  That's not pretty.

As far as the design of the CVX-1800, it looks fine.  Nothing really
mind-blowing
about it, though.  Uses the same CSM/3 rockwell chips, and the code is 2.098.
Same connect speeds.  A little more information in the CLI, a lot less in
RADIUS,
and I don't know about its SNMP coverage.

-Will