(ASCEND) Sending email through Pipeline 75

I have set up a couple of the Pipe75s using NAT on small LANs for Internet
access.  I would like to know if anyone else is seeing the same delays
sending email.  After pressing send, it waits maybe 10 seconds (like it
doesn't have an Internet connection) before successfully sending the email.
 Checking (receiving) email doesn't seem to have any delay at all.  If you
use a Pipe15 and connect to the Internet on a single PC (the same PC I was
sending through the LAN connection to the Pipe75), there is no delay at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Is this a known problem?  Am I doing
something wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!