(ASCEND) NISplus and Radius

Hi Troy,

I do this, e.g. use NIS+ under Solaris 2.6 to authenticate Radius users.

Here are the gotchas I recall:

-The user must have a valid account on the box hosting the Radius daemon.
If you can't "su - username", then Radius will refuse access.  My users
have a shell of /bin/passwd -- /bin/true would be fine, also.  Remember
that the user's shell must exist in /etc/shells.

-I use netgroups to control access to given machines.  Using netgroups,
the passwd lines in /etc/nsswitch.conf look like:
# The next two lines enable the use of netgroups
passwd:         compat
passwd_compat:  nisplus

And the tail end of /etc/passwd and shadow look like:
/etc/passwd
ssmith:x:24178:96:Susan Smith:/home/ssmith:/bin/passwd
+@ops:x:::::
+@mach-only:x:::::
+@remote-only:x:::::
+@unix-admin:x:::::

/etc/shadow
ssmith:{encrypted whatever}:10389::::::
+@ops::9928::::::
+@mach-only:9928:::::::
+@remote-only:9928:::::::
+@unix-admin::9928::::::

If you don't use netgroups, then you don't care about this stuff.

Hmmm, that's all I remember.  Valid shell and netgroups.

--sk

Stuart Kendrick
FHCRC