Re: (ASCEND) can Max be PPTP server?

At 05:04 PM 3/28/98 -0500, Joe Pautler wrote:

>Here's the scenario....  we have a class B (128.205.0.0/16) worth of
>address space, and there are some services that are only available
>to users with source IP addresses within that class B.  We have
>Ascend units (4048, TNT) to support dialin access directly to our
>network, however many people use other services such as aol, cable
>modems, etc, which give them an address that is NOT within our
>class B.  We need a way to make these people look like they
>are coming from within our class B.  That leads us to PPTP.... set
>up a PPTP server so that these users could tunnel into that, and
>then from there they would like they were coming from within our
>class B.  Is there any way to use our Ascend boxes
>to facilitate something like this?  In other words, is there any
>way to be able to tunnel *to* an Ascend box via its network interface,
>and then look as if you are coming from the IP address of the Ascend
>box, or one that it uses?

For PPTP, you pretty much need a Windows NT 4.0 server as the tunnel
endpoint. However there is a new IETF standard called L2TP (Layer 2
Tunneling Protocol). The Max can be both the L2TP Access Concentrator (LAC)
and the L2TP Network Server (LNS). There is a pre-standard version of L2TP
in 6.0 that you can play with. It works fine with Max's at both ends. We
are settling on the standard in the IETF hopefully this week, so the next
release of code for the Max should have the standard version (I hope!)

Matt Holdrege		http://www.ascend.com	matt@ascend.com