(ASCEND) Ospf questions

While attempting to induce some stability into my dial up pools, by reducing the
complexity of the ospf routing tables, I stumbled across the following option in the
docs.

Under Ethernet>Mod Config>Route Prefs>OSPF ASE Preferance=xxx

Now according to the docs if you set this to 255 the max will no longer put external
routes into its routing table. As almost all max generated routes are an external,
advertisements of the routes from my other maxes no longer show each others routes in
their tables. The tables are significantly smaller this way.
The route still gets advertised to the cisco that the maxes sit behind so my customers
still have connectivity. Sort of like the rip send-only command.

Im wondering if I'm breaking anything, besides the fact the maxes have to send packets
destined for each other on this segment by way of the cisco.

All other standard ospf table reduction tricks haven't worked so far because the max
will not advertise routes if its not an asbr. :( And I cant get the cisco to summarize
e2 type routes.

Any ideas or opinions on this?

David