Re: (ASCEND) Address Translation

this is what was on the list at the first of the month.  I hope it
helps.-----------------------------
Dave McFerren davem@solve.net
System Administrator
Net Solutions, Inc.
816-220-0303 fax 816-220-0333
-----------------------------
"It never hurts to help!"

> Recent sendmail versions make a connection back to an incoming host's
> address on the auth port - 113. This is an old UNIX-based service - "is a
> user on your system trying to connect me to my port 25?"
>
> It's of not much use nowadays - large ISPs have ident turned off, because
> of the extra delay it causes - if the incoming host isn't running an auth.
> service on port 113, sendmail will try uselessly to connect for a little
> while before giving up.
>
> Firewalls have this problem, too - it's not specific to NAT.

Ahhhh... bloody identd... Never thought about the ramifications of 'no
answer' rather than a 'connection refused'.

The solution I just implemented was to map port 113 to an unused port on
the ethernet address of the PL130 -- this worked perfectly.  The
connection is refused right away and sendmail gets on with it's life...