RIP traffic (was: Re: (ASCEND) Network Collisions effect router?)

At 12:45 PM 3/25/98 +0100, Manfred Kwiatkowski wrote:
[snip]
>Since collisions are handled in NIC hardware they never affect device
>performance. I would rather worry about the late collisions and
>loss of carrier which address a hardware/design problem of your
>network. Lost (corrupted) packets may lead to sluggisch TCP response.
>In addition, broadcast RIP trafic has a very negative effect on MAX
>performance.

When you say "broadcast RIP traffic has a very negative effect", does that
mean that multicast RIP traffic does NOT have a very negative effect, or
does that mean that ANY RIP traffic has a negative effect, or does that
mean that in order for RIP traffic to not have a negative effect it should
be DIRECTED?

And may I ask by what method did you come to this conclusion?

Joseph