Re: (ASCEND) In Defense Of Ascend...

At 16:44 1998/03/22 -0800, Matt Holdrege wrote:
>Freeware unix runs freeware apps. Commercial application vendors have
>always selected the commercial OS's.

exactly. If I am going to depend on this box for my
business to function, I need to know that I have a solid product
with technical support that can help me resolve problems,
that goes for the Hardware, OS and for the Application.

For us that meant Compaq hardware, and BSD/OS 1.1. and while we did
use the Ascend freeware radius, it seemed the best available at the time,
and back then Ascend was still small and getting technical support
(even for the freeware app) was pretty simple...

The bottom line is, when I've exausted all my abilities to
fix something, that there is someone I can call to help me.
I can't do that with [flavor-of-the-month]BSD,
and even if I had a commercial app running on a freeware OS,
the tech support crew for that app could probably help
no more than guessing. I can't run a business on that, can you?

-Jim H

----
Jim Howard             Sr Network Engineer        Lyceum Internet
jhoward@lyceum.com     http://www.lyceum.com/     404.248.1733

My PGP Public Key: http://www.lyceum.com/~jhoward/pgp-key.txt
Fingerprint: 7E8B E2BA 1314 2535 CB08  CFF9 119B 7CD3 2488 954D