Re: (ASCEND) More Fatal Errors!

> > You have the TR number, I'm sure you can get details from that.
>
> How?  If I didn't open a TR, then how can I find info on it?

I have never tried to do this but I would recommend contacting the customer
service department and asking them for the details.  In my opinion, you are
approaching the problem from the wrong end.  I think you should be contacting
customer service when you have a problem so you know the TR, rather than
looking through the solved TR's to try to find a description of your problem.

> How can I determine whether a fix has really solved my problems?

Everyone has a different method of operation, but the following is my advice.

1 - If you are having a problem, then contact technical support.

    Expecting a company to fix a problem you have not reported or expecting
    other people to report your problem is not a wise course of action -
    in my opinion.

2 - When talking to customer support, make sure you ask for and record the
    ticket number for the call and the name of the technician you talk to.

    If you don't know your ticket number, you will either have to repeat
    what you said the last time or you will have a delay while the tech
    tries to find your records by seaching in another (less convenient)
    way.

    Unless you don't like a technician, try asking for the same person
    when you call in on the same problem.  This way the person is already
    familiar with the issues and needs to spend less time re-reading
    the history in the ticket and more time helping.

3 - Follow up.  If the problem is determined to be a bug, then make sure
    the technician gives you the "TR" number that was assigned.

    If you don't have the "TR" number, then you won't know what to watch
    for in the release notes to see if your problem was solved.

The only way to determine if a fix really solved your problem is to get
the software revision that includes the bugfix for your TR and testing
it in your environment.

Another helpful hint:

  If you want to avoid having to give a lot of contact information each
  time you call, make sure you also get and record your "Caller ID".
  After that they will usually just ask you a few questions to make sure
  your contact information is up to date (and that you have the right number).