Re: (ASCEND) NFAS and the TNT?

At 02:08 PM 3/24/98 -0500, Jason Nealis wrote:

> Here at Erols we do not use NFAS, but are looking to implement NFAS to
>gain back some available trunks on our large Hunts, I'm curious, What
>is the optimal setting for how many PRI's in a NFAS group? And how
>is this implemented with the TNT. Can you have the D channel across
>T1 cards or even across chassis?

We don't currently do D channel across T1 cards. If you use the T3 card
then you have a lot of flexibility with NFAS.

Here is an excerpt from the TNT 2.0 release notes...

In earlier releases, the MAX TNT supported NFAS (Non-Facility Associated
Signaling), a service which allows a single D-channel on one DS1 (with an
optional backup D-channel) to control all B channels in some number of
additional DS1s (up to 8 on a T1 card and 28 on a T3 card, subject to the
limitations of the switch). Each card was limited to a single NFAS group.
However, some sites require multiple NFAS groups on a single card to
enabled grouped DS1s for different applications.

The MAX TNT now supports NFAS groups. An NFAS group contains a minimum of
two PRIs, so a T1 card supports up to four NFAS groups, and a T3 card
supports up to 14 NFAS groups. To support this configuration, the T1
profile contains the
following new parameter, shown with its default value:

     T1 { shelf-N slot-N line-N }
           nfas-group-id = 0

For a T1 card, you can set the NFAS-Group-ID to a value of from 0 to 3. For
a T3 card, valid values are from 0 to 13. Lines with the same NFAS-Group-ID
value are in the same NFAS group.

Matt Holdrege		http://www.ascend.com	matt@ascend.com