Re: (ASCEND) In Defense Of Ascend...

On Sun, 22 Mar 1998, Jason Nealis wrote:

>  FYI, Just let it be known, That here at Erols we use LINUX all over
> the network from accounting servers to authentication server to WWW
> servers to DNS servers.
>
>  We even developed a radius that is far more optimized for speed then
> just about anything out there, LINUX has a BIG presence out
> in the ISP industry.

INDEED!  I would have thought Ascend would have gotten the message by now
and started supporting Linux.  We use Linux on many of our servers (We
even REPLACED Solaris with it on a Sparc) because of the source availability
and the quick response to security issues which Sun just couldn't give us,
at ANY price.  Not to mention I believe that Sparc Linux is better than
Solaris ;-P

We're not the only ones, I know of a local ISP or two in the area as well as
some major ISP's in Canada, Ohio, Virginia, etc etc etc that are using it.
Ascend is very mistaken if they don't think a large number of their
customers are running it.  We often just ignore Ascends commercial products
since it doesn't even support Linux and move on to create our own solutions.
Not that we wouldn't mind spending the money on one of their products tho.