Re: (ASCEND) In Defense Of Ascend...

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, William T Wilson wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, Robert Fournerat wrote:
>
> > My understanding is that Micro$oft "extended" java,
> > which is in violation of their agreement with Sun,
>
> This is true.
>
> > and are being sued because of it.  Ascend used these
> > extensions in their configurator application.  Hence,
>
> That's completely insane.  Doesn't Ascend realize that a very large
> portion of there clients use no MS applications whatsoever, and that
> furthermore the MS Java extensions have little or no use in such a project
> (or for that matter in almost any project).

That's what I said when I was told there'd be no commercial version of
radius (AAC) for any of the BSD platforms.  It still amazes me that Ascend
touts that it's the favorite choice among ISPs, yet doesn't listen to us
when it comes to what we need.  Our only option was to get a Sparc box
running solaris and that just wasn't in our budget for the year.  The
company I was with was a completely FreeBSD shop, and Solaris wasn't
anything we wanted or needed in our lives.

> Of course, this would explain why this Java configurator creates a
> security hole.  It's made for MS products, and it can't help but pick up
> the influence.

Too many bad things can be said about both Ascend and Microsoft.
Fortunately for Ascend there are at least a few good things still left to
be said about them; Microsoft is another story entirely, but not on this
list.

Joe Shaw - jshaw@insync.net
NetAdmin - Insync Internet Services