Re: (ASCEND) In Defense Of Ascend...

William T Wilson wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, Robert Fournerat wrote:
>
> > I am further incensed by the fact that you compromised the
> > security of my Ascend HW in a effort to support a product
> > that was only able to be run on Microsoft based systems
>
> Isn't the configurator Java-based?  I don't use it, but the fact that it
> is written in Java should mean that it ought to run just about anywhere.

My understanding is that Micro$oft "extended" java,
which is in violation of their agreement with Sun,
and are being sued because of it.  Ascend used these
extensions in their configurator application.  Hence,
this application runs only on MS OS's.

We could now spin off a long discussion about Micro$oft's
lack of ethics, and Ascend engineer's lack of competence
by using this Micro$oft abomination.  But I think neither
of these companies care to change or understand their
mistakes.

Robert